India is lucky that we’re one of many previous couple of international locations to expertise the horrible results of coronavirus. China was the primary nation to be hit, however as a result of they applied draconian containment measures, they managed to get the an infection beneath management. Italy, the UK and US took too lengthy to resolve on a whole lockdown and so they’re now struggling the implications.
A restricted lockdown doesn’t work as a result of Covid-19 is a particularly contagious and transmissible virus. It spreads very simply by way of droplets, sneezing or contaminated supplies. An entire shutdown of motion will stop and cut back the viral transmission dramatically, which can give time for the federal government to arrange the healthcare infrastructure to handle the dramatically elevated affected person load.
In Italy, it’s not simply the virus killing sufferers, it’s the deluge of sufferers which overwhelms the hospitals and forces docs to resolve who ought to be saved and who ought to be left to die. Lombardy has essentially the most superior healthcare system on the planet and even they couldn’t ventilate aged sufferers with respiratory misery. Lives might have been saved if the hospitals had time to arrange.
If we don’t utterly shut down now, we’ll be compelled to close down after a month when the variety of circumstances explode – identical to in China, Italy and Spain. Today, individuals have gotten their salaries and grocery outlets are effectively stocked. They will be capable to handle a lockdown with some problem. But if we lock down a month from now, residents might be demoralised attributable to devastation attributable to the virus, no money within the pocket, and costly meals.
Civil society should perceive what is going to unfold, if we don’t act now. Extrapolating the Lombardy information, Karnataka is more likely to have 80,000 Covid-19 sufferers. A metropolis like Bengaluru can have about 16,000 optimistic sufferers, 2,400 will want hospitalisation, 2,000 will want ICU care and 1,000 would require ventilators. We have to do the next to arrange:
- Every main metropolis ought to dedicate two main 1,000-bed authorities hospitals and convert them into Covid hospitals with piped oxygen, suction and compressed air provide to run 1,000 ventilators. If you combine Covid sufferers with common sufferers, 40% of standard sufferers will get contaminated.
- The whole Covid hospital wants central piped oxygen. In western Europe, Covid sufferers died as a result of oxygen provide bought exhausted.
- Health ministry ought to create two groups of docs, one for screening and triage, and one other ICU group to handle vital care service.
- Patients who might not require superior vital care help ought to be handled on the Covid hospital. Critically sick sufferers with respiratory failure ought to be despatched to non-public hospitals with a contemporary ICU with extremely expert workers, and tools like ECMO.
- Fever clinics with online session throughout town with tips on viral screening and follow-up.
- For 2,000 ICU beds, a six-hour shift wants 700 nurses, 200 resident docs and 100 anaesthetists/ intensivists. For 24-hour protection, 2,800 nurses, 800 resident docs and 400 anaesthetists. We want no less than 200 senior intensivists or anaesthetists to cowl 2,000 beds remotely by way of WhatsApp.
- Covid ICU simulation ought to be arrange at massive hospitals to show workers on secure practices. Safety of well being staff ought to be the utmost precedence.
- India is acutely in need of ventilators. No different nation is permitting export of ventilators. Government should help native corporations to fabricate ventilators on a warfare footing.
- Postgraduate medical college students ought to be given the choice to work within the Covid ICU as a part of their coaching programme. PG college students, interns and last 12 months medical college students ought to be posted within the respective hospitals’ ICU to familiarise with ventilated sufferers.
- National Medical Council ought to enable younger docs educated in recognised abroad medical faculties a short lived licence to work beneath senior docs. In the tip, it’s the junior docs and nurses who’re going to avoid wasting individuals.
- Medical Council of India ought to allow online session and e-prescriptions to handle Covid affected person information from home and preserve medical information. Indian Nursing Council ought to allow last 12 months nursing college students to care for secure ICU sufferers.
Every suggestion now we have made has priority within the developed international locations, however they learnt their classes too late. We can determine their greatest practises and be taught from their errors. China was overwhelmed due to an unprecedented surge and a refusal to acknowledge the unfold of the illness.
An Imperial College research predicted 12 lakh deaths within the US, 5 lakh deaths within the UK and 35 lakh deaths in India if Covid-19 is allowed to unfold unchecked. But India can conquer Covid-19 by flattening the curve and setting an instance for remainder of the world to observe. Thanks to our authorities’s progressive insurance policies, now we have the biggest variety of younger expert docs, nurses and technicians. We can liberate their full potential by empowering them and offering them with the required instruments. Let’s not turn into like Italy, which needed to import 300 Chinese docs to handle their ICUs.
DISCLAIMER : Views expressed above are the writer’s personal.